Monday 23 February 2009

Why I'm called Welford Soar.

I very much like the pseudonym that I have chosen for myself. My own name, although I have no objections to it, I fear is too 'personal.' Also, I doubt very much if NMH would be taken seriously as a historical novelist. Another reason is that my pieces seem better written by someone totally anonymous. A person with a name and an ability for writing, that is all.

The Bronte sisters chose pseudonyms that were neither male nor female names, as we all know. I love the idea of a non-gender specific name. Especially as I have a very masculine writing style. NMH could be accused of all sorts of crimes, but Welford Soar is simply a name.

I live in New Wharf Hall on the banks of the River Soar. George Orwell chose his surname from the name of a river, in which case, so shall I. What about a first name? In the great city of Leicester, there is a great road. An artery pumping the citizens and their motors in and out of the city's generous heart. The name of this raod is Welford Road. 'Welford' goes well with 'Soar.' Welford Soar it is then! Welford Soar, I like.

Welford Soar is not a man, Welford Soar is not a woman. Welford Soar is not a feminist, Welford Soar is not a misogynist. Welford Soar is not a Communist, Welford Soar is not a Facist. Welford Soar is not black, Welford Soar is not white. Welford Soar is not gay, straight or bisexual. Welford Soar has no political opinions. Welford Soar has no spouse. Welford Soar has no children. Welford Soar is a contradiction in terms, just a name, a veil, a screen. Welford Soar is simply Welford Soar.

1 comment:

  1. "If you give a man a mask he will speak the truth."- Oscar Wilde

    ReplyDelete