Thursday 3 December 2009

The World of the Dream.

The curious world of the dream. a strange place which we all slip into every night whether we remember it or not. Sometimes, the indelible inks of my brain brand such a picture into my mind that I can never shake it off, not even years later. Other times, I know a dream has indeed crept across my subconsciousness, but I sit there, with my head in my hands, trying to pluck the dream out of my memories and come up with nothing.

The World of the Dream is fluid and intangible, you can don another identity, gender or even race like a coat. Then, when it is time for you to wake up, you unfasten the buttons, breaking through the bondage of sleep and hang it up in the dream wardrobe for next time.

The World of Dreams has allowed me to travel to Nineteen-Hundred-and-Two, and tell A.J Balfour, the contemporary Prime Minister, that he was talking out of his arse. It has allowed me to ride through Sainsbury's on a bicycle, aiding the cake section, it has even allowed me to jump over a high balcony and land safely on the floor below like an anthropomorphic cat.

However, I have no control over where the World of Dreams drags me to. As such, the bondage of sleep has held me hostage in some of the most frightening and distressing of places. I have fallen into blackness and had to twitch myself awake. I have raced frantically around corridors in schools and colleges, trying to find my way to a non-existent exam. A real ruler in waking life fell on my neck and caused me to dream of being guillotined, but I thankfully managed to snap awake before the blade fell.

However, I hope the dream world will never again transport me to the Third Reich. Racing around the grey streets of Berlin, confronted by black Swastikas, clutching the arm of a non-Aryan and trying to find our way out of the dystopia. When I awoke, I was bathed in the cold clamminess of sweat.

At times like that, I never want to succumb to slumber again and re-enter he dream world. But I'll go there again tonight, and again every night of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment